Welcome to the Darkside...

...join me, Akasha Savage, as I brave the deepest dungeons and scale the misty mountains to achieve my dream: to see my novel Bathory in print. I will take you by the hand and keep you beside me as I cross this uncharted territory...



...let us step into the moonlit darkness together...

Wednesday 9 March 2011

Books, Books, Books......

Here in the UK we've been celebrating the wonder of books.

March 3rd was World Book Day, at school I organised a Hogwart's dressing-up day: staff and children could come dressed as their favourite Harry Potter character for the day. I chose to be Rita Skeeter, the journalist for The Daily Prophet.

Friday was National Book Night. A million books comprising of 25 different titles by best-selling authors were given away for free. I managed to get my hands on a copy of CJ Sansom's Dissolution, which I've yet to read. Couldn't miss out on the offer of a free book!

For the past couple of weeks there has been a daily programme running each evening. Presenter Anne Robinson has been asking various celebrities to name their favourite five books, including one from their childhood, one they think everyone should read, and a guilty pleasure.

Here are my five:

Childhood favourite ~ Now We Are Six by A A Milne. This is a collection of wonderful poems that appeal to children of all ages. My mum read it to me, I read it to my children. And now I read it to the children at the school where I teach. I know most of the poems by heart.

Everyone should read ~ Shantaram by Gregory Davis Roberts. I have mentioned this book before on my blog, and I really do urge you to read it if you haven't already. It's based on the true story of a criminal who escapes from an Australian prison and ends up in India. During his eight years there he lives in the Indian slums of Mombai, sets up a free health clinic for the homeless,and joins the Indian mafia. It is a fantastic, well-written, read, and is one of those books that really does make you look at life with different eyes. Read it!!

Often read book ~ Great Expectations by Charles Dickens. I first read this novel when studying English at school. I loved it then, I love it still. I must have read it at least five times and see something new in it each time.

Favourite book ~ It by Stephen King. King is my favourite genre writer, and this still by far my favourite of his books.

My Guilty Pleasure ~ Burlesque/Fetish by Dita Von Teese. 'nuff said!


...so yours?

4 comments:

  1. What a wonderful list! I have always loved poetry even as a child. I thought the programmes were brilliant and hope they make more of them. I shall have to put together my list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, sounds like a good time. Always good to celebrate books. I'll say IT is definitely a favorite of mine, though I'd have to think about how to answer the specific list requirements.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love book talk. My child hood favorite might have been Desert Dog by Jim Kjelgaard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jarmara ~ I loved the daily 'fix' on books; they should indeed make more of this series.

    Onipar ~ I found it a little hard to get my list together; I have so many favourite books!

    Charles ~ Not heard of Desert Dog, I'll have to google it. I love book talk too, I find it so interesting listening to other writers and how they ply their trade!

    ReplyDelete